New Rosin Day

My bow has been somewhat scratchy, and while I know this is fairly typical of students early on, I decided I need to figure out exactly what is causing it. I strapped my Bow-Right onto my violin (the first time I’ve ever used it) and discovered that while my bowing is fairly straight, it’s definitely not perfect. That’s part of the issue right there. I also found that some rosin had indeed built up on my strings, so I cleaned them and that seemed to really help as well. On top of the scratching, my bow has begun sliding a bit on the strings, so I’ve got my work cut out for me. 

It has occurred to me that perhaps a change in rosin might help. I’m currently using Gustave Bernardel, which is good and comes generally well recommended. With the recent cold and dry weather, however, I’m wondering if I should get something a little more gripping? Although pleased with my current rosin, I’ve also been quite interested in the L’Opera Jade, which is said to have good grip, give a mellow sound and not leave behind too much dust. I’m picking some up today and am very much looking forward to trying it out.

Comments

Popular Posts